Thursday, September 01, 2005

R.I.P: me mum

Apologies to all who read this blog (oh wait - that's just me... :? ) but there's been a good reason for not being vigilant with the blog.

Approximately 5:05am, August 14, 2005 - my mum passed away.

I got the phone call at about 10-past-5 and went and woke dad up to go in to the hospital to see her. It's very strange seeing someone in that state - their body is there but you look into their eyes and the soul really is gone. It makes you want to believe that there is a better place for them to go and that they truly are at peace.

It's sad and I miss her a lot and there is now nobody there to call several times a week to make sure that I'm eating food and not just living on coffee and toast and that everything is OK, but at least she is not in pain anymore.
I think it's a fair trade that I can look after myself a bit better if I know that she's not being crippled by the cancer that spread to her lungs, spleen and spine.

An upside is that she was not a victim of the ineptitude of the public health system here in Queensland (in the state it is thanks to Petie Beater and his merry band of morons) and that she had the best medical care right up to the very end.

I just wish that I knew of a way that I could thank the staff at the Wesley Hospital in Brisbane for everything they did. Every last one of them are true professionals in their attitude towards health care and amazing people in their care for their patients.

Until I think of a better way: Thank you everyone for being there!

3 comments:

Nick and Nora Charles said...

You have many friends who love and appreciate you than you know.

-- Nora

Nilk said...

Dear Jai Normousone, my thoughts are with you. I lost my mum to cancer 13th august 2001. It's a path we are all expected to take, and we walk it alone.

I'm so sorry you are walking it now.

Good luck, and at the risk of sounding like some godbotherer, my prayers are with you.

Nilknarf.

Nilk said...

Oh, and how to let the staff know you appreciate them? Just tell them.

We are so quick to criticise and so slow to compliment.

My dad donated one of mum's favourite paintings from home to the cancer ward where she stayed at Ballarat base. It makes a huge difference when your loved ones are looked after and treated with dignity.