Monday, November 21, 2005

Mini-sub mystery may be solved

The Mini-sub Mystery may be solved, eh?

I don't really know a great deal about the mini-sub ordeal as events like this are stricken from the educational curriculum in Australia as I think that, according to the higher-ups, it has the tendency to breed anti-Japanese sentiment.

What I do know is that there are people still around who were around back then during WW2 in Sydney. I also know that there are a lot of people around who claim to have served in various elite parts of the defence forces or were at events that are high-profile in our history when in fact they have not even served. While I firmly believe the following story to be true (as I know the teller personally), I have no way of authenticating it.

The lady in question became friends with my mum and would often come over home to do some ironing in order to make a few extra bob. One day she told us the story about how she was a radio operator down in Sydney during WW2 where they would listen for strange or different transmissions. On the day in question (that is, the day that the war came to Sydney), she heard something strange on the radio - it was a sound that defied all explanation. If I remember correctly, the story went that she asked others about it and nobody had a clue - she came to the conclusion that it had to be a mini-submarine in the harbour.

With this conclusion in her mind, the lady approached her superiors (in rank only, I might add) and put this information to them. She was told that she was talking absolute rubbish; that there was no such thing as a mini-submarine; that nobody would dare come into the harbour to perform such a preposterous attack; and words that flowed something like: "Go back to your post you stupid woman - you don't know what you're talking about!"

1 comment:

Caz said...

The Age have a slightly longer piece about the mini-subs today -

http://tinyurl.com/dmewk

FYI.