Thursday, January 05, 2006

Hoppy New Year!!

Well, guess what? I think I am about to write a blog entry that (maybe) won't be a rant like my usual entries.... Here's hoping....

Firstly, apologies to all my friends (both of them :) for not sending Christmas cards (or, as I like to call them, "Chismyass" cards. This isn't an attack on Christmas or anything, just part of my usual style of renaming almost everything I come into contact with. I also like to see the look on peoples faces when they stand there and wonder if I told them to "kiss my ass" or was wishing them a "Merry Christmas" :)

Childish? Me? Naw.... NEVER!!!

What is childish though is the thoughts that went through my head at Christmas at home with the family when I came to the conclusion that I had been forgotten about in the gift-giving stakes. I'm kind-of ashamed about that. You spend a few hundred bucks on everyone else and the rest of the tribe can't scrape together a few bucks for a card. That is to be expected from my tribe though. My brothers (that are left) and dad are OK but the nephews and neices are all self-centred so'n'so's. Stuff 'em.

It's not that important anyway in the grand scheme of things because I did get to spend the day with those who mattered. I was also fortunate enough to not see #1-Nephew/future-drug-mule as well. This pompous little prick who is so full of his own bravado chooses to exercise honour when he feels like it and generally abuses me via text message on my phone (160km away) but never to my face.
I'm either growing old or realising that fighting with an imbecile is a waste of time as I told him as much. No more text messages.

Seems funny how telling people the truth can rub them the wrong way. Out of something like 20 people in the immediate family, there were exactly zero calls on my birthday a couple of days later. It's not like I can complain though as I think I am regarded as a right royal bastard by the family which was my own doing. I did get calls (again) from those who matter and I did get to spend the day with a woman that I didn't think even existed in this country anymore. Mates have been ragging me about being a sly bugger and shacking up with some bird and never told them. *Sheesh* - it seems to be that a bloke isn't allowed to be friends with a woman without 'doing' her. Is it lucky that I'm good at breaking the rules? :)

Anyway, I don't know about the 'rules' when it comes to asking someone out and I usually avoid the subject unless they happen to be quite extraordinary (too easy to stay in the comfort zone, y'know). The problem with speaking your mind (as I do) is that some think you're a freak who has already picked out the names of the children and where the wedding will be, etc etc etc. Not so. I just think that when you're interested in someone then you should say so - life is too short to skirt around the issue when you meet someone good. Some will say that it puts undue pressure on a woman when you do this but I think that a lack of confusion is a good thing and it helps to avoid the: "I can't go out with you because you're a friend!" hunk-of-bullshit/outright-lie that a bloke gets told all too often. Yes, it is a lie - if a bloke isn't good enough then he should be told that and everyone can get on with their lives.
Yeah, yeah - I sound like a cranky old shit but I get that way when someone thinks I'm a mug.
In any case, Ms Extraordinary hasn't lied or treated me like a mug and there has definitely been no thoughts of names of kids or wedding arrangements! :)

New Years Eve was quite good again. Did the usual thing of spending it with 2 mates (2 coffees - 1 in each hand!) while watching the fireworks. The fireworks were great but the 'mates' didn't last more than 10 minutes or so. Went home to bed and slept like a log (isn't it great when caffeine has no effect on you? :)

Now in the new year I need to buy another car. The SAAB is so close to being dead that the local preacher is warming up the last rites. I've thought about finding something that is 15 years old or thereabouts again but I think I need to bite the bullet and get something a bit newer that I don't need to work on. The old 9000 model is a great car though - it's been further offroad than most 4x4's you see in Brisbane and it's carried more junk in the back than most garbage trucks (most of which still seems to be under my house... :?
In any case, it's time to give a car dealer the shits....

Happy new year to all - especially Nick & Nora, Nilknarf & Magilla, Caz, and anyone else silly enough to read my crap! :)
May the new year bring all you deserve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shit !! I forgot your birthday...and after you told me about two days before !!! Sorry bout that...

I've marked it down...somewhere...so I will remember it next year!!